Communicating with my deceased loved ones seemed easy, compared to getting my first book published. Initially naive to the process, I came to learn that big publishers like all other large corporations are pressed to make money first and worry about literary quality as a secondary consideration. Many good books never get published, or languish in obscurity after being self-published. Meanwhile, publishers offer lucrative contracts to athletes and rock stars who often have little to say in their books, yet provide the celebrity status required to fuel the "publicity machine."
Fortunately for me. after about twenty unsuccessful attempts, I sent out one last proposal and "bingo," my book found a home. Better yet, I developed a one-on-one relationship with the publisher who took a personal interest in editing my book, helping me refine it into something far beyond what I'd initially envisioned. No doubt, I would never have received this type of assistance from one of the big houses. Better still, my publisher contracts with Random House for distribution services, so they are treated like an imprint. In the end, I received the marketing and distribution force of a large publisher, along with the attention and focus on quality afforded by an independent house.
My message is to never give up on your dreams. Someone encouraged me to send out just one more proposal and it made all the difference! Visualize the end result you want, while continuing to make an effort toward achieving your goal, but don't try to control the process too much. Put out the thought and intention toward what you want and allow the universe to help make your dreams become a reality. It's a team effort.
Soul Shift: Finding Where the Dead Go
By Mark IrelandRelease date:
By 15 July, 2008
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment